Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

3.14159265

I read Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, yesterday, a good way to spend 1o hours on a bus to New York City and back in one day. The beginning of this book is all about animals and zoos. For those of you who know me well.... you know that I hate zoos. Life of Pi made me question that hatred. I'm not about to skip downtown to start visiting the lions and tigers and bears oh my, but maybe in the future I'll be more open to going... especially if it's for Brew at the Zoo.

Anyways, I really related well to this book because as Pi was suffering on his lifeboat, starving, wet, and at the brink of death, I was sitting on a bus with an air conditioner so cold that I could hardly move my hand to turn the page. When we stopped on the way home to get food, I was shivering from head to toe, teeth chattering, and holding a cup of soup in my hand, feeling like I just survived a storm in the Pacific Ocean myself. This really brought the reading experience to a personal level. [Side note: I don't like air conditioning. It's summer. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HOT.]

Overall, I liked this book a lot and if we are going to start a rating system, I'll give this book a 4/5.

526 points.

1 comment: