Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Brave New World

I'm not sure why this book took me soo long to get through, but I'm happy to finally be done with it. Overall, I think Huxley's vision of the future is compelling, especially when you consider that this book was written in the 1930's. Many aspects of the futuristic society that he writes about are still a possible future reality for mankind. If it's becoming legal to genetically modify and market salmon, how much longer until we are doing it with humans, too? Where will we stop?

My biggest complaint is the ending... which I won't spoil in case anyone wants to read the book, but I do hope that in reality, opposition to the "controllers" won't be met with despair and failure. This ended the book on a rather depressing note- and gave me a feeling of hopelessness, which I didn't appreciate.

But I won't let it get me down too much. Let's all go live in the woods!

7.5/10
459 points

No comments:

Post a Comment